Mote Mount/ Mill Hill Golf Club
Work began on the construction of Mote Mount Golf Club in 1924 and the course was opened for play in 1927. It was designed by J F Abercrombie and remodelled in 1931 by H S Colt. After the War when three holes were lost to the war effort and due to the proposed construction of the M1 motorway the course was further altered following advice from S Cotton and the then Professional Alex Daniel (pictured right with actress Dame Diana Rigg during the filming of an episode of ‘The Avengers’ in 1966).
In 1930 the owner, acting through an agent, sold the Club to Hendon Council (now part of the London Borough of Barnet) amid considerable controversy.
In 1939 the name of the Club was changed to Mill Hill Golf Club following adverse publicity when lady members were restricted on playing times.
In 1944 Mill Hill Golf Club Limited was formed. The Board of the Company controlled the finances of the Club while the General Committee was responsible for golf and social matters.
A number of reforms have recently taken place. In December 1995 the membership voted that Mill Hill Golf Club be a Members’ Club. It started trading as such on 1 April 1996. At the AGM in February 1997 the restriction on playing times for lady members was removed.